HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ballpark dimensions: Polo Grounds IV, Forbes Field, Tger Stadium

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Let's Go Pens!!!

Let's Go Pens!!!

Ballpark dimensions: Polo Grounds IV, Forbes Field, Tger Stadium Empty
PostSubject: Ballpark dimensions: Polo Grounds IV, Forbes Field, Tger Stadium   Ballpark dimensions: Polo Grounds IV, Forbes Field, Tger Stadium EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 2:43 pm

Hello, all. Don't like to leave in holes in my posts. So doing some fill-in work during my lunch break related to yesterday's post about the short distance between Polo Grounds IV and the old Yankee Stadium.

I included a graphic of the dimensions of Polo Grounds IV and mentioned that it was 483 feet to dead center, inside the small indentation at the base of the steps leading up to the Giants' clubhouse.

I also mentioned Forbes Field and Tiger Stadium as having a spacious center field, but did not provide distance numbers.

So am first bringing back the graphic of dimensions of Polo Grounds IV. Turns out the 483 was deeper than center field in Forbes Field and Tiger Stadium.

Ballpark dimensions: Polo Grounds IV, Forbes Field, Tger Stadium D54f18a2c31fc1affdf00287c043bf6a

Next, we have Forbes Field in Pittsburgh. Home of the Pirates from 1901-1970.

Dead center was 442 feet with the flagpole there in play. Dead center was in between the 457 and 432 marks in the image below. The deepest part of the ballpark, the corner in left center, to the left of the 457 mark in the image below, was 462.

(Also, and this is news to me, the base of the towers supporting the lights that illuminated left field, center field and right field ALSO WERE IN PLAY. I do not know of another MLB stadium past or present in which the foundation of light towers were in the field in fair territory.)

Ballpark dimensions: Polo Grounds IV, Forbes Field, Tger Stadium Forbes

Lastly, we have Tiger Stadium, which was the home of the Tigers through 1999. (The first stadium on the site at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull was Bennett Park. Then, what was last called Tiger Stadium was previously known as Navin Field and then Briggs Stadium.)

It was 440 feet to dead center at Tiger Stadium. As with Forbes Field, the flag pole was in play. It was located just to the left of dead center.

(The other thing I'll always remember about Tiger Stadium was the double-deck stands beyond the outfield.)

Ballpark dimensions: Polo Grounds IV, Forbes Field, Tger Stadium Tigersse

Am sure some of our FHL owners have fond memories of Tiger Stadium. Maybe some remember it as Briggs Stadium, since the final name change occurred in 1961?

The one, the only MorganWigge indicated he last summer was at the old site, the corner of Michigan and Trumbull. Am sure the ghosts of Hank Greenberg, Hal Newhouser and more Tigers were glad he visited. He said at the time, a youth baseball field was under construction on the site.

No question "The Corner" will always be a special place in Detroit. The complete demolition of Tiger Stadium occurred after several preservation attempts failed. Now, it is appropriately home to the youth baseball field. Work was completed a few weeks ago.

Puck drop for early NHL games is just under four and a half hours away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Ballpark dimensions: Polo Grounds IV, Forbes Field, Tger Stadium
Page 1 of 1