HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

And a short break for something completely different: Original Six train travel Detroit

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Let's Go Pens!!!

Let's Go Pens!!!

And a short break for something completely different: Original Six train travel Detroit Empty
PostSubject: And a short break for something completely different: Original Six train travel Detroit   And a short break for something completely different: Original Six train travel Detroit EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 3:10 pm

Another of my hobbies is railroads, especially railroad history and architecture of the grand old stations, some of which still stand and some of which are sadly gone.

So asking any of our Detroit-area owners if they have any remembrances of the Fort Street Station and the Brush Street Station?

The Fort Street Station was demolished (sadly since it was a BEAUTIFUL BUILDING) in 1974 after train service ceased in 1971. It hosted passenger trains from the following railroads: Pennsylvania, Baltimore & Ohio, Chesapeake & Ohio, Pere Marquette and Wabash.

Below is a photo of the Fort Street Station, which was located at West Fort Street and Third Street, evidently very close to Cobo Hall.

And a short break for something completely different: Original Six train travel Detroit Unionmain

I am highly knowledgeable about old railroad stations. Take my word for it that Fort Street had aspects of the following: Windsor Station in Montreal, Indianapolis Union Station in Indianapolis, and St. Louis Union Station in St. Louis. All three still stand. But only Indianapolis hosts passenger trains (Amtrak).

The Brush Street Station hosted passenger trains of Grand Trunk Western Railroad, which provided service between Detroit and Chicago. The building was purely functional. It also initially was a passenger ferry terminal as well.

And a short break for something completely different: Original Six train travel Detroit Dsr-1650_brsh-atwtr_8-69-gms-c2

I was aware of the Michigan Central Terminal, which still stands, and hosted trains of New York Central and its subsidiary Michigan Center.

I just became aware of the Fort Street and Brush Street stations. Was doing some railroad surfing Monday night as the last NHL game of the night -- Las Vegas at Los Angeles -- wound down.

Learned that part of the Pennsylvania Railroad's "Blue Ribbon Fleet" of passenger trains was the Red Arrow, with separate sections from Washington and New York being combined in Pittsburgh for the journey to Detroit (and vice versa) via Toledo, Ohio.

Keep in mind that up until the mid to late 1950s, the Original Six NHL teams all travelled by train.

How each of the Original Six arrived and departed Detroit by train depended on which city the team was coming from or what city it was going to.

For example, if the Red Wings were going directly to New York to play the Rangers, they could depart Michigan Central Terminal via the Michigan Central/New York Central or Fort Street via the Pennsylvania or Baltimore & Ohio.

Or if they were going directly to Chicago to play the Black Hawks, could depart Fort Street via the Pennsylvania/Wabash or Brush Street via Grand Trunk Western.

Lots of scenarios. But I will have to list them all if I begin writing my series of books on how professional sports teams travelled by rail before airplane travel took over.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

And a short break for something completely different: Original Six train travel Detroit
Page 1 of 1