Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sir Sid and friends say farewell to "The Joe?"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Let's Go Pens!!!

Let's Go Pens!!!

Sir Sid and friends say farewell to "The Joe?" Empty
PostSubject: Sir Sid and friends say farewell to "The Joe?"   Sir Sid and friends say farewell to "The Joe?" EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Penguins at Red Wings tonight. Puck drop right around now.

Are any FHL owners in attendance?

Could be last time, barring a playoff series between the teams, that Sir Sid plays in "The Joe."

I have never made it to "The Joe" (or the Olympia for that matter). But the memories of the back-to-back finals, won by the Red Wings in 2008 and the Penguins in 2009, will live on.

Wing Ryan Malone was a warrior in the 2008 finals, won by Detroit in 6. I remember seeing camera on him on bench late in a game with major gash across his nose. Sad that he ran into personal problems that cut short his NHL career.

Also, the memory of the Penguins' big win in the third OT in Detroit in Game 5, 4-3, on a goal by Petr Sykora that staved off elimination. In that series, the Penguins could not overcome a 2-0 hole, being shut out 4-0 and 3-0, in Games 1 and 2 in Detroit.

As far as 2009 is concerned, memories at the top of my list have to be Game 7, won by the Penguins 2-1 in Detroit. Both goals from F Max Talbot and G Marc-Andre Fleury sliding across from the left post to the right post to stop HOF D Nicklas Lidstrom pinching in from the left point in the waning seconds to give the Penguins first Stanley Cup since 1992.

Farewell Joe Louis Arena, unless we meet again in the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
Let's Go Pens!!!

Let's Go Pens!!!

Sir Sid and friends say farewell to "The Joe?" Empty
PostSubject: Lost in the fog of NHL   Sir Sid and friends say farewell to "The Joe?" EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 7:32 pm

I just glanced back at a write-up of Game 5 of the 2008 finals. What I forgot was plenty.

Penguins' F Max Talbot scored with 34.3 seconds left to force the overtime with G Marc-Andre Fleury out of the net. This was only the second time in history that a team avoided elimination in the finals in this manner.

Red Wings' F Jiri Hudler received a double-minor for high-sticking Penguins D Rob Scuderi midway through the third OT. A few second later, Penguins' F Petr Sykora scored with assists to D Sergei Gonchar and F Evgeni Malkin.

This was Gonchar's first shift in a long time. He fell awkwardly into the boards in second period. Played a few shifts in third and that was it until the game-winning power play.

This was the first time in modern NHL that a team had three power play opportunities in overtime. Red Wings killed minor to F Henrik Zetterberg late in first OT and minor to F Daniel Cleary early in second OT. The penalties did not overlap. (Penguins also successfully killed off a minor in second OT.)

The game was the fifth longest in the history of the finals.

But it was all for naught as Detroit won Game 6, 3-2, two nights later in the old Igloo in Pittsburgh to wrap up the championship.
Back to top Go down

Sir Sid and friends say farewell to "The Joe?"
Page 1 of 1