Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

If you were about to undergo surgery

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Let's Go Pens!!!

Let's Go Pens!!!

If you were about to undergo surgery Empty
PostSubject: If you were about to undergo surgery   If you were about to undergo surgery EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 12:12 am

what would your last words be prior to anesthesia?

I have a little time tonight. Listening to St. Mary's (California) versus U. of San Francisco men's basketball over the Internet.

Bill Carhart, a friend who I know primarily from "train spotting" or "railfanning," about a year ago had to undergo hip replacement surgery.

Railfanning is term used in the United States to describe having railroad as a hobby. Can include taking videos and photographs of trains, sitting trackside watching trains pass as well as exploring abandoned rights of way. Train spotting is the term used in England for the hobby.

As Bill was about to be put under, a member of the surgery team was making small talk, trying to help him relax since he was REALLY apprehensive about anesthesia but finally consented. The member of the surgery team asked Bill, "Mr. Carhart, what is your favorite baseball team?"

Bill responded, "the Detroit Tigers."

The member of the surgery team replied incredulously, "the Detroit Tigers???"

The guy obviously expected Bill to say the Philadelphia Phillies, the New York Yankees or the New York Mets, teams that are close to central NJ.

That was the last thing Bill heard. The next thing he remembers was waking up in the recovery room. BTW, the surgery was a success.

Bill a lifelong fan of the DETROIT TIGERS.

Al Kaline, all over it. Gates Brown, sure. Lou Whittaker, absolutely.

Bill is in his upper 60s. So he remembers Tigers baseball starting in the late 1950s. He does NOT go back far enough to remember the great lefty pitcher Hal Newhouser.

"Prince Hal" as he was known an interesting case in that he was born in Detroit and then starred with the Tigers. Not many players in any professional sport star for the hometown team.

Sitting outside due to warm evening. Laptop battery about to run out of power.

That's it for now.
Back to top Go down
misconducts

misconducts

PostSubject: If you were about to undergo surgery   If you were about to undergo surgery EmptyWed Dec 23, 2015 10:41 am

I have had surgery a few times and the anesthesia itself is always the part I am afraid of most. First time I had surgery maybe 15 years ago I decided to take the whole experience up a notch. I decided I was done before I was done and came out of the anesthesia while still on the table. it was like a horror movie gone real. So my last words now are DONT LET ME WAKE UP STILL ON THE TABLE!

Train spotting? I did not know it was called that. I have been part of Aircraft Spotting with my father and his friends when I was a kid. They did more photography then just spotting but I spent countless hours traveling to airports all over the east coast and Canada watching planes and taking pictures. Collecting time tables and junior wings and any other stuff I could get at the counter. I miss the good old days when you could do it without a hassel
Back to top Go down
Let's Go Pens!!!

Let's Go Pens!!!

PostSubject: Very cool Misconducts!!!   If you were about to undergo surgery EmptyWed Dec 23, 2015 7:52 pm

Very cool that you have plane spotting as a hobby.

There is one guy in our railfan group of friends who also is a plane spotter. He periodically goes to Kennedy International in New York, Liberty International in Newark, NJ and McGuire Air Force Base, located about 45 southeast of scenic, historic Trenton in NJ Pine Barrens, to plane spot.

McGuire primarily sees Air Force refueling planes, such as KC 10 and the older KC 135, as well as transport planes such as C5.

Jim, my friend who is also plane spotter, says the KC 135 refueler is his favorite military plane.

The planes that go in and out of McGuire are visible for miles around as they approach or depart.

McGuire is now part of Joint Base Dix McGuire Lakehurst. Fort Dix is Army and formerly was known as Camp Dix. McGuire is Air Force. Lakehurst is Navy.

Fort Dix is the former Camp Dix. Among those who went through Army basic training at Camp Dix include Elvis Presley. Lakehurst was the destination of the German zeppelin Hindenburg, which exploded on arrival.

I am not a plane spotter. But I am a fan of military aircraft, especially those of World War II. My father gave me a paperback book titled something like "Warplanes of World War II," when I was a youngster. I still have the book, which lists the planes of each nation in the war. So I know everything from Spitfire fighter to Focke-Wulf 190 fighter to Junkers 87 Stuka dive bomber to B24 Libertator bomber to Betty, a Japanese bomber, officially Mitsubishi G4M.

There is an airport near me, Trenton Mercer, served with passenger flights by Frontier. Airport symbol is TTN.

But of greater interest is the fact that usually during the summer, vintage World War II planes fly in. I have seen in air over my house B17 and B25. Then this summer, saw a couple stubby fighters heading southeast. They were pretty high and I couldn't make a positive ID.

Ironically, I was about to enter local library and was talking with a woman who ALSO happened to be a fan of vintage aircraft. How's that for karma!!! We concluded that they were either F4F Wildcat or F6F Hellcat, Grumman fighters operated from carriers by the Navy.

Below is a picture of a Wildcat.

If you were about to undergo surgery F4f_Wildcat_c

So Misconducts, if you ever make it to my 'hood, will be able to keep you busy re: plane spotting.

I will close with a spot that is a favorite of mine. Have not been there for maybe seven years. It provides both railfan and plane spotting in the same spot.

That would be the Dorval Train Station, which is located a few miles west of Montreal. Station is served by VIA (Canada intercity railroad) and AMT commuter railroad. There are two platforms sandwiching two tracks.

Here is a map of the AMT system. Dorval is on the "red" line. Look in middle bottom of image.

http://mapsof.net/map/montreal-commuter-rail-map-train

Beyond the westbound platform when I was last there was a fence and two more railroad tracks. Freight trains run on these tracks.

So one sees plenty of trains.

If one sits on the eastbound platform, can also see planes taking off from and landing at Trudeau (formerly known as Dorval), one of the two international airports in Montreal. The view is side to side, not head on.

Montreal is a city I really enjoy. I used to visit every year in June for the Formula 1 race. Maybe I will make it back in 2016 for the race.

I also have been to the old Forum once and the Bell Centre several times for Penguins versus Habs (not to be confused with former FHL franchise Haps).

Glad to talk plane spotting more at your convenience.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you were about to undergo surgery   If you were about to undergo surgery Empty

Back to top Go down

If you were about to undergo surgery
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Immaterial Material-
Jump to: