HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Saturday Night - Sedin Twins

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blu

PostSubject: Saturday Night - Sedin Twins   Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:50 am

Wow…35 years old and the Sedin's combined for 9 points. Big hurt to the Bluliners! Had to research their best combined points in the regular season. They tied their best set on Feb. 06, a 5-2 win against EDM, in the 2006/07 season. Daniel 3 goals/2 assist, Henrik 4 assist.

Another one of Brian Burke's great acquisitions!

Some of the 1999 drafted players still on ice and FHL draftee's:
Sedin Twins (2nd & 3rd..1st rnd)
Martin Havat (1st rnd)
Craig Anderson (3rd rnd)
Ryan Miller (5th rnd)
Zetterberg (7th rnd)…Detroits first pick was in the 4th round that year
Radim Vrbata (7th rnd)

Atlanta Thrashers drafted Patrik Stefan with the 1st pick in 1999

Suter and Burns had a big night and are off to a hot start. Suter was a bench player last year.
Back to top Go down
Let's Go Pens!!!

PostSubject: Fear not, Bluliners   Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:30 pm

Ken, lots of offense in our matchup last night. Hopefully the good people at Belle Tire cut into the Belle Tire Match of the Week periodically to show those watching in FHL land highlights of our matchup. There were many.

Reminded me of the old American Football League, which I LOVED to watch. Every game a shootout at OK Corral. We don't need no stinking defense!!!

For example, San Diego "Super" Chargers with Lance "Bambi" Alworth at WR versus Oakland Raiders with Darryl "the Mad Bomber" Lamonica at QB.

http://www.widereceiver.com/lance-alworth/

# # #

http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/daryle_lamonica_1967_11_23.jpg

(Keep in mind that Oakland Raiders versus Kansas City Chiefs back then was like the FHL poster shot -- PROBIE VERSUS THE GRIM REAPER -- ON EVERY PLAY. YOU TALK ABOUT VENOM. I believe that's KC DL Buck Buchanan about to annihilate Lamonica. And back then, the rules in the NFL were different with regard to making contact with the quarterback. Have to assume Oakland OL in background who was thrown aside just thinking to himself "TIHS HO.")

As I said in an earlier post on a topic that escapes me now, in this first trip through FHL, I do not look at who I am playing next until the game begins. In looking at your team closely, it is NICE and was made even nicer with the acquisition of Malkin. It is going to be a good season in Blulinerville.

# # #

As we know, any fantasy sport not an exact science. All we as GM can do is slot in the players and hope for the best. So production of the Sedins last night was kinda like the Star Trek episode "The Trouble with Tribbles." Just kept growing.

When I initially Emailed you, they had combined in second period for two goals and three assists = seven FHL points.

Surprisingly, Badger Bob has had nice production so far this season after the witching hour (midnight) in Eastern time zone. So is it fair to say that FHL is altering my sleep pattern as I now have to stay awake, or at least try to, for these West Coast games? Yes.

I can remember Bergeron of Boston having a really nice game in an early period when Bruins were playing a road game on West Coast.

This is second game in which Sedins have excelled. This one occurred against a good team in Chicago.

The prior best was on November 10 in Columbus with H getting two goals and one assist and D getting one goal and three assists. They may have been additionally motivated since this was their first game against former Canucks coach John Tortorella, who had just taken over in Columbus.

But hey, Saturday was only Day 1 in Badger Bob versus Bluliners. Hopefully we haven't punched ourselves out. Six days to go!!!

# # #

Ken, HUGE that you bring up Burke. Hockey is full of great personalities like him. Could generate plenty of copy on "Burkie" for sure.

I'd like to finish this post with a story involving Brian Burke that I read recently. It is memorable for sure. It also shows the traditional values instilled in kids growing up in rural Canada who don't have much in way of career choice, either make the NHL or spend life working on a ranch or farm or God forbid, the lead smelter in Trail, British Columbia, which has to shorten life expectancy. There probably is a lead smelter in Kamloops, BC as well.

Canucks were interested in drafting in first round F Trevor Linden, who went on to have a nice NHL career primarily with Canucks. The link below is not where I initially read the story. But just happened to be easy to grab from the Internet.

https://www.rebelmouse.com/markdelleman/1447149194.html

Linden taken by Vancouver with second overall pick in 1988 draft. He proved over career to be a solid player. Burkie didn't do badly with that pick. And Linden now an exec in Canucks front office.

But history shows Minnesota, which Burke referenced in his story, was up to something and that something did not involve Linden. The player taken with first overall pick proved to be a Hall of Famer, Minnesota North Stars/Dallas Stars F Mike Modano.

Modano grew up in DETROIT area. A shout out to those in LIVONIA and HIGHLAND TOWNSHIP. So everything here in Chester's Corner eventually works its way back to the Motor City.

# # #

REMEMBER, IT'S ALWAYS A GREAT DAY FOR HOCKEY. But for me, WOULD NEVER BE A GREAT DAY for attempting to do much of anything that would add to the bottom line of a ranch in Medicine Hat, Alberta.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blu

PostSubject: Sedin   Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:46 am

Your post took me down memory road and inspired a whirlwind of research to fill in some of hockey voids. Names popped up such as Mark Messier, Todd Bertuzzi, Iron Mike, Bryan McCabe and back to Brian Burke and those Sedin brothers.

Hilarious “Burke” article showing the cutting edge and unique brand of medicine practiced in the Hat. I wonder if Chris Osgood worked the farm while growing up in Medicine Hat.

I became a Trevor Linden fan, after his performance through the 1994 playoffs, including the finals. Interesting how the 1994 cup winners Ranger coach “Iron Mike” Keenan and captain Mark Messier both signed on with Vancouver in 1997. Keenan was GM and coach that year. I distinctly remember (and wondering why) when watching an early season game and hearing the colour commentator say both Iron Mike and MM were not fan favorites in Canuck land. Now I realize that not only did Messier replace Linden as captain (which would be like replacing Stevie Y in Detroit), he demanded to retain his number 11 which had unofficially been retired, after an unexpected death of a Canuck player in 1974. There was also discontent in the locker room and it didn’t help in the following year Keenan traded Linden to the Islanders for Todd Bertuzzi and Bryan McCabe which, in the long run proved to be a GREAT trade for the Canucks.

In 1999, the new Vancouver GM Brian Burke sent McCabe and their 2000 first pick to Chicago in exchange for Chicago’s 1999 first pick which helped Vancouver draft the Sedin brothers with the 2nd and 3rd overall pick.

I find it interesting how such a successful leader/player as Messier (Mr. Captain, six Stanley cups and many awards) would not be a shoo-in for any NHL executive position. As you pointed out Linden is now a Canuck executive and Detroit’s own Steve Yzerman in Tampa. Both seemed to lead their team in a similar “quiet style” while Messier reportedly had led an aggressive and sometimes a turbulent style. I guess that style does not always work in upper management (unless you’re Bill Gates). Perhaps a politically incorrect statement of Messier is an example of his style of aggression, when in February 2007, he expressed interest in returning to the NHL as general manager for the Rangers; however, current Ranger GM Glen Sather responded by saying “he has no plans of stepping down from his position”.

Messier is one of my favorites!

Kamloops – I’ve pedaled down that road before! Meaning the one leading in and out of Kamloops

Looks like my forwards lost their offensive punch…calling on my goalies and d-men to throw in some points
Back to top Go down
Let's Go Pens!!!

PostSubject: HUGE!!! post by Bluliners!!!   Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:37 pm

Ken, HUGE post. I am just taking lunch break. Will need more time than is available now to provide proper response.

And YES, I am laughing re: your line re: Kamloops. The road into and out of Kamloops!!!

I will try to weave this anecdote somehow into my response since Patrick Marleau has been subject lately of trade rumors. VERY RARE that a player is with same NHL team that long and then traded, such as Ray Bourque.

But I do know for a fact that Patrick Marleau is a native of:

ANEROID SASKATCHEWAN

I am going to have to look up ANEROID. Sounds to me kinda like a performance-enhancing drug? Kinda like ANABOLIC steroid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Let's Go Pens!!!

PostSubject: New post sidetrack   Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Ken, I kinda got sidetracked onto a new post in Chester's Corner that is heavy in hockey history. Will get back to your post in near future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saturday Night - Sedin Twins   

Back to top Go down

Saturday Night - Sedin Twins
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1