HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The power of advertising on NHL radio broadcast and other topics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Let's Go Pens!!!

PostSubject: The power of advertising on NHL radio broadcast and other topics   Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:36 pm

Hello, fellow GMs, lady and gentlemen. A tale of the good and the ? as a result of advertising on a NHL radio broadcast. Not sure what to call the latter.

I really enjoy BBQ, St. Louis-style ribs. (Not looking to upset Red Wings' fans by plugging anything remotely connected to the Blues.)

Found what is NOW my favorite BBQ restaurant anywhere as a result of an advertisement heard on a Thugs on Skates radio broadcast versus the Penguins maybe six years ago.

Advertisement was for Sweet Lucy's Smokehouse  cheers in northeast Philadelphia, about a 30-minute drive from home in scenic, historic Trenton, NJ. Restaurant had just opened and was trying to build patronage via radio advertising. I tried it and LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT.

Monday night all-you-can-eat buffet STELLAR investment of $23.75 including tax. And Happy Hour, $1.25 per rib bone and $.50 corn bread, Tuesday through Friday 4-6 p.m. I may head there this Monday night. Haven't visited in about one month. It's time.

THANK GOODNESS I am doing plenty of riding of my bike thanks to what has been a mild fall so far in order to burn the calories.

If any fellow GMs ever visit my area on business or pleasure and like BBQ, will be sure to take you to Sweet Lucy's.

Here is the link to Sweet Lucy's:

www.sweetlucys.com

Quick digression re: Thugs on Skates radio PBP announcer Tim Saunders. He is from Detroit area, Grosse Pointe. (Yes, I know that Grosse Pointe is not the 'hood.) So I assume he grew up a Red Wings fan. He was born in 1962.)

I don't care for Saunders for two reasons. He and whoever is serving as a color commentator are BLATANT HOMERS. Anytime a penalty is called against the Flyers, it is met with disbelief.

How could that be called a penalty? Well, Tim and idiot color commentator, currently Steve Coates, Zac Rinaldo just skated 50 feet and left his feet before making contact with the Arizona player. DUH!!! That's charging ace!!! Probably worth a major penalty!!!

The second reason a relative nit, thus. But there is a Detroit connection here as well.

Anytime the Flyers score a goal, Saunders hauls out what seems to me to be a weak impression of Red Wings' announcer Ken Kal. I don't like Kal's goal call when the Red Wings score. So no surprise I don't like Saunders' goal call.

Sounds like Kal and Saunders have just taken a slapshot from Al MacInnis to the lower abdomen as voice goes up too many octaves. They'd fit right in with Menudo. You get my point.

Sorry Detroit area GMs. You may like Ken Kal's announcing. I do not. Personal preference. (I used to be able to pick up Red Wings' game on WJR, 760 AM, on AM radio in house and car at night, the Voice of the Great Lakes.)

Anyway, a perfect segue into the ? re: radio advertising on a NHL radio broadcast.

Spent a little time listening over Internet tonight to Thugs on Skates at Jets on the Jets station. Had some time before Penguins at Flames started at 10 p.m. Eastern. I kinda like the Jets' PBP announcer, Dennis Bayak, who used to be part of the Maple Leafs' radio broadcast team. Unreal that the Thugs on Skates snapped a six-game winless streak with a 3-0 win (including an empty net goal at the end) in The Peg.

The ? is this.

One of the proud sponsors of Winnipeg Jets hockey on radio is Doctor Jay Buenafe, who leads Vasectomy Manitoba. Kinda too much information already.

The link to the wrong Doctor J  afro :

www.vasectomymanitoba.ca

Remember, IT'S ALWAYS A GREAT DAY FOR HOCKEY and SWEET LUCY'S SMOKEHOUSE in Filthy Delphia. Dr. Jay Buenafe and Vasectomy Manitoba...not so much.

# # #

On to MORE POSITIVE news.

The puck is down in Calgary. Pittsburgh Penguins in search of seventh straight win.

GOOD NEWS in that Pascal Dupuis checked out at local hospital last night and symptoms appear not to be related to blood clots he has suffered in the past. Dupuis a good guy, family man. Wish him well and hope his health stabilizes. If he is healthy, he can help the Penguins.

# # #

PRETTY WILD tonight in NHL that two games tied in waning seconds. And BOTH teams that scored tying goal ended up getting the two points.

In Carolina, Jeff Skinner scored at 19:56 to lift Hurricanes into 2-2 tie with Ottawa. Jordan Staal assisted on the Skinner goal and then got the game-winner in overtime.

Meanwhile in Washington, Nicklas Backstrom scored at 19:59 to lift the Caps into a 2-2 with the Maple Leafs. Caps then won in the shootout.

Maple Leafs are the worst possible combination, not very good and luckless. Leafs did get one point tonight. But people in Leafs Nation have to believe that the sky is falling to lose in that manner. AND they pay the highest price per ticket in NHL at Air Canada Centre.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morganwigge
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The power of advertising on NHL radio broadcast and other topics   Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:30 am

I continue to be amazed about how much you know about the Detroit area. How is that so? Are you knowledgeable about a lot of major (hockey?) cities or is Detroit on one your specialties? Very Happy

Speaking of other cities/states, I lived in New Jersey for a year - went to a cartooning school in Dover and lived in a rented house near Lake Hopatcong.  Close to you?

I've grown to like Ken Kal, "grown" being the key word as I remember not liking his call (hated it, actually) when he replaced Bruce Martyn.

An obvious choice, but Bruce Martyn has to be the best Detroit broadcaster of all-time.

Okay, second best, just a notch lower than Ernie Harwell's call of Tiger baseball.

With regard to your opinion of Sweet Lucy's, I have been a vegetarian for 28 years so I cannot confirm or deny that one. geek <-- vegetarian dude.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fhl-since-1993.forumotion.net
Let's Go Pens!!!

PostSubject: I am old AND know a lot about Detroit   Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:24 pm

Paul and other fellow GMs, I have accumulated a lot of information over my now 57 years. Just turned at end of October.

I do have a lot of knowledge of Detroit area even though I have only visited once. I will share the story of that visit at story at some point in the season in Chester's Corner.

I have done a fair amount of travelling for business over the years. So know a lot about a lot of cities, including San Francisco, San Jose (lived near there) and New York where I lived for periods. Don't travel as much anymore. So have vistied most major US cities with the exception of Houston and Seattle.

Also, I am a newshound. Used to read newspapers. Now glean all of my needed information from Web. Probably due to the fact that I started my work career as a reporter.

I also am an architecture fan. There are a few Websites out in cyberspace dedicated to architecture about various cities, especially buildings that are sadly gone. (My interest in this grew out of the HELLACIOUSLY BAD  Exclamation decision to tear down the old Pennsylvania Railroad Station in New York City in early 1960s. It is now the home of the current Madison Square Garden where NY Rangers play. See, everything leads back to NHL.) The link below is the first one of its kind that I found, maybe 15 years ago. It also helped me gain understanding of what used to be in Detroit.

If Detroit area GMs and ex pat Detroit GM not aware of this site, I suggest checking it out. Am sure will bring back memories. The demolition of Hudson's Department Store sad. Stuff on the site also includes decaying Detroit Yacht Club on Belle Isle, obviously Michigan Central Terminal and if I remember correctly the plant where Henry Ford built the Model T, which still stands. Also, Tiger Stadium and the Studebaker plant.

So from this Website, I also know about Grand Circus Park, the downtown monorail to nowhere, etc.

If any of you examine the site, PLEASE share you thoughts and what memories the site may bring back to you. I think the guy who has grown the site over the years as dedicated about DETROIT as our commish is about the FHL News Department. The leader of the site has been at it for about as long as the FHL, which is impressive.

www.detroityes.com

This Website has grown out of a site that was dedicated to the "Fabulous Ruins of Detroit," which is under Tours History.

When you get to the main page, go to the far right of the main toolbar. Click on Tour Detroit. This then will bring you to second page and "Fabulous Ruins of Detroit."

http://www.detroityes.com/tour-detroit.php#The_Fabulous_Ruins

Then, go on right side of page to Detroit Mon Amour Tours into the Heart of Detroit. Scroll down to 1997-98 and the original core tour of DetroitYes.

http://www.detroityes.com/fabulous-ruins-of-detroit/index.php

# # #

Paul, Dover and Lake Hopatcong are in an immensely pretty area of New Jersey in north central. New Jersey is not just the industry near Newark. Cool that you spent time there.

Lot of lakes in that part of the state since GLACIERS made it this far south during pre-historic ice ages. Glaciers carved out the lakes including Hopatcong.

New Jersey has more than 130 miles of Atlantic Ocean beachfront, Pine Barrens, which supports incredible ecosystem in south central and Appalachian Mountains in northwest near Delaware River Water Gap. So New Jersey sadly has bad rap for all of the heavy industry near Newark.

I have not been up near Dover in a LONG time. But there is an abandoned stretch of architecturally significant railroad right of way up that way that I want to hike and explore, the Lackawanna Cutoff, a high speed right of way from old Port Morris Yard (near Lake Hopatcong) to Delaware Water Gap area built by Delaware Lackawanna Railroad back in early 1900s. Remaining track, one down from two, ripped out in 1970s. But there is talk of restoring rail service. I am not optimistic.

That area is about 90 minutes to two hours from me.

# # #

Paul, Sweet Lucy's is SO GOOD  cheers it might cause you to make an exception.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IceHogsDynasty

PostSubject: Re: The power of advertising on NHL radio broadcast and other topics   Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:51 am

One of the proud sponsors of Winnipeg Jets hockey on radio is Doctor Jay Buenafe, who leads Vasectomy Manitoba. Kinda too much information already.

The link to the wrong Doctor J  afro :

www.vasectomymanitoba.ca

EEK..  If only Winnipeg wasnt so far away.  IHD is waiting until the NCAA Basketball Tournament to do this..  What a Face Suspect affraid lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SC Cobras

PostSubject: Re: The power of advertising on NHL radio broadcast and other topics   Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:15 pm

Morganwigge wrote:

Speaking of other cities/states, I lived in New Jersey for a year - went to a cartooning school in Dover

Shocked
The Kubert School?
When I lived in LA,I worked with a guy who went there & his drawings were amazing. Most of my right leg is covered in tattoos I had him (reluctantly) design for me.

He used to tell me tales of the New Jersey Devil cuz I always wore a Devils hat back then Very Happy

And yea, JC seems to know a LOT about Detroit....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The power of advertising on NHL radio broadcast and other topics   

Back to top Go down

The power of advertising on NHL radio broadcast and other topics
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1