HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

On with the discussion of Wales and soccer with the commish

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Let's Go Pens!!!

PostSubject: On with the discussion of Wales and soccer with the commish   Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:20 pm

Paul, you are clearly on the right track with the Ritz Carlton logo. I didn't even think until you mentioned that the team logo and Ritz Carlton logo have the same two components, crown and lion's head atop the crown.

As we all know, Chester's Corner is a FRIENDLY place. When it comes to knowledge acquisition, seeking to make that fun.

Just so happens you just shared that you originally are from Wales. Just so happens that I root for a pro soccer team that is partially in Wales.

Makes for a great story for you to tell in the pub, right? This guy from New Jersey Emails me about my fantasy hockey league on a hot summer day. He and a couple other guys he knows join my fantasy hockey league. And he also roots for a pro soccer team located in England AND Wales...

So if you don't mind, can I respectfully not accept your decision to say "uncle?" How about working with me a tad to get the puck into the net??? I play Steve Yzerman and get the assist. You play Brendan Shanahan and get the goal.

Team in question is currently in the National Conference, sponsored by Vanarama. Here is link to current Vanarama table.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/conference/table

(Note to those who do not follow soccer outside of the USA. Correct terminology for what in US is standings is "table.")

Now, take a quick scan through the table. I believe it will be apparent as to the team I root for. Very Happy

Paul, once that is accomplished, asking a favor. I have yet to master attaching a photo in the forum. Some of my recent posts have taken some time to produce. In addition, plumbing repairs and today, repairs to exhaust system of the Chestermobile. BUSY BUSY!!! bounce

I promise I will take a look at how to attach photo by the weekend!

Favor is could you attach to your successful response a photo of the team's logo, which is available on the club Website. Club Website can be located by clicking on the team name in the table and then looking on right side of the page that comes up.

My guys were as high as fifth earlier this season. Have fallen back into the middle of the pack. But well clear of the relegation zone.

As said, I also have a favorite team in the Premier League. Have been rooting for them since the mid 1970s. More on that later. NO shortage of topics here in Chester's Corner.

Badger Bob, over and out. Remember, IT'S A GREAT DAY FOR HOCKEY and in this case soccer.

As always, fine for other GMs to chime in.

Initial puck drop for early games tonight less than four hours away!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morganwigge
Admin

PostSubject: Re: On with the discussion of Wales and soccer with the commish   Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:21 pm

Glancing at the list of teams the obvious choice would be Chester Razz  - so that's where I looked first. Sure enough.

Now I'm going to cry "FOUL!" because the discussion has been predominately "Wales, Wales, Wales" when in fact Chester - though damn close to Wales - is officially in England.

Therefore, I believe I'm still owed the money.

The team logo...

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fhl-since-1993.forumotion.net
Let's Go Pens!!!

PostSubject: Deva Stadium straddles England-Wales border   Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:47 pm

Paul, thank you for being good sport and playing along with me. MORGAN SHOOTS...HE SCORES!!! re: the CHESTER FOOTBALL CLUB.

Re: $ owed, no need to quibble. How 'bout I get the first round of drinks when we cross paths in person at your favorite pub in Motor City Land or if business or vacation brings you within several hundred miles of scenic, historic Trenton, NJ? Fair enough?

(Trenton historic for a significant battle in American Revolution. Would you be upset, due to Welsh heritage, if I share part of that history in Chester's Corner? American Revolution was a LONG time ago. And today, USA and UK are solid allies. LMK on that.

No hard feelings for me re: UK. I am known as "Jaguar" John among friends here since I have driven a Jaguar since 1994. Coventry, England the long-time manufacturing facility for Jaguar. My favorite the XJS two-door grand tourer, which is no longer produced. Current daily driver a 1995 XJ6 four-door sedan.

Any veteran Jaguar has some minor foibles. This one no different. But as with all the previous Jags I have owned or leased, I really enjoy the car, especially the quiet, smooth ride. And I also ride a Raleigh bicycle. Technically Raleigh USA. But close enough.

Do we have any owners of vintage cars in the FHL? If yes, let's discuss.)

Back to the business at hand.

If you can't trust Wikipedia, who can you trust? (Wikileaks, no. Chester's Corner, of course. Just kidding!!!)

So sharing info from Wikipedia on the location of the current home "pitch" of the Chester Football Club. According to Wikipedia, Deva Stadium straddles the border of England and Wales.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deva_Stadium:

Location[edit]

The stadium is located in the Sealand Road Industrial Estate and is notable for straddling the England-Wales border. The pitch itself is in Wales (Flintshire), with the front gates and main office in England (Cheshire).[10]

From Chester FC on Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_City_F.C.:

The Deva Stadium is notable for being right on the England-Wales border: the pitch is in Wales, but the entrance and part of the club offices are in England.[11]

Which means that the OTHER part of the club offices are in Wales!!!

So there you have it Paul. Strive to make learning FUN here in Chester's Corner.

Remember, IT'S A GREAT DAY FOR HOCKEY and in this case, pro soccer in the UK.

Initial puck drop for first game tonight, Montreal and Buffalo, less than three hours away!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morganwigge
Admin

PostSubject: Re: On with the discussion of Wales and soccer with the commish   Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:49 pm

Okay, maybe your original description wasn't worthy of a red card, but a yellow card (and a sideways glance) for sure. Smile Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fhl-since-1993.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On with the discussion of Wales and soccer with the commish   

Back to top Go down

On with the discussion of Wales and soccer with the commish
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1