HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

On with the discussion: IHD at 1997 Stanley Cup playoffs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Let's Go Pens!!!

PostSubject: On with the discussion: IHD at 1997 Stanley Cup playoffs   Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:16 pm

IHD, HUGE post re: 1997 playoffs for Red Wings. This is the kind of information I LOVE hearing about. Each of us obviously makes a unique journey in life. This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to make a home for when broaching subject of what is now Chester's Corner with the commish.

From your post, IHD, seemed like writing it down for us brought back good memories to you. I sensed you were writing with the PASSION you were feeling being at the games. You were back in the moment, feeling the intensity that permeated "the Joe."

Also, REALLY COOL that you earned the $ to be able to watch in person what obviously were grudge matches against Colorado with the stakes even higher in the playoffs. Colorado versus Red Wings back then meant same venom for opponent as PENGUINS versus flyers.

Keep this information coming folks. We have more Red Wings' fans out there, right? Let's hear from you. Maybe you weren't at the games in person, but were watching on TV or listening to the radio.

Make like the cartoon Sherman and Peabody (look that one up on Wikipedia if not familiar) and take us in "Wayback Machine" back to the 1997 playoffs.

From my standpoint, even though not all that familiar with the Red Wings, I was taken by the great combination of skill and leadership of Steve Yzerman. Players like that do not come along frequently. When they do, it is GREAT to watch them on the road to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

IHD if you have more to share on 1997 playoffs, BRING IT!!!

Badger Bob over and out. Remember, IT'S A GREAT DAY FOR HOCKEY!!! Initial puck drop for tonight less than two hours away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IceHogsDynasty

PostSubject: Re: On with the discussion: IHD at 1997 Stanley Cup playoffs   Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:05 pm

Game 3 was kinda a blur in the old memory bank..  It was during the week of Finals..  I remember staying up to study for English as I need a B on it, to ensure I graduated with a 4.0(they gave out A+ back then, which counted as 4.3)  Kozlov scored twice for the Wings, Vernon was solid in net, and the Wings squeaked out a 2-1 victory..  This caused them to go up 2-1 in the series.   Game 4 was 6-0 whitewash, and Colorado returned the favor in Denver with a 6-0 whitewash in Game 5..

I bought tickets from a guy in the newspaper(pre internet days, definitely pre ebay and stubhub)  Had to drive 45 minutes to Northville to get these on Sunday afternoon.  We met at an Amoco Gas Station..

Game 6 was Memorial Day.   Stace and I did our pregame at Bubi's in Windsor Ontario(pre 9-11 only took 5 minutes to get across the tunnel and 8 minutes back)   Windsor restaurants typically didnt check id for alcohol.  I was 18, Stace was 19..

We left after dinner and a couple drinks..  I think my drink back then was Fosters.  

Made into the Joe around 7, and the energy was just building.. Even though the Wings were up 3-2, I certainly didnt want the series to go back to Denver(esp after shelling out $500 for the upper blue line tickets)  

No one score in the 1st period..  Kinda just tense, and the longer breaks due to ESPN didnt help.  Only highlight was Karen Newman, the Red Wings anthem singer, sat two rows in front of us.  Stace got her to sign her wingnut hat..

Early Second Period..  Lapointe(sneaking in on a line change) scores an awesome goal, that broke Roy's glove.

We were sitting opposite side of the camera,  I remember just seeing the puck deflect of Roy and found its way into the net..  Great Goal..

Later on, I didnt actually see Fedorov score, I just saw the red light turn on..  2-0

The other thing about the ending of this game..  Yzerman didnt pick up the Clarence Campbell Trophy after winning the series.  In 1995, he skated around with it like it was the Stanley Cup.  This time he just left it on the table and immediately skated into the locker room after the trophy presentation.

Even to this day, Stace and I are good friends.. Although she does live in California now and I did notice her wearing a Sharks Jersey.. Blasphemy.. Hahaha..

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morganwigge
Admin

PostSubject: Re: On with the discussion: IHD at 1997 Stanley Cup playoffs   Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:02 am

You're a much bigger Wings/hockey fan than I thought - parting with that many clams for tickets. Shocked Awesome! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fhl-since-1993.forumotion.net
Let's Go Pens!!!

PostSubject: IHD on a ROLL!!! Feel like I am back in 1997   Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:53 pm

IHD, post 2 on the 1997 Stanley Cup playoffs may be even MORE HUGE than post 1.

Many thanks for sharing. GREAT info. cheers

(Bonus points for the pub sign with CHUCK NORRIS reference!!! And Chester's Corner salutes Stace.)

I KNOW how fired up I am when the Pens go deep into the playoffs. Fans of other teams, no doubt, have the interest meter spiking as well!

Keep up the GREAT posting, IHD.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morganwigge
Admin

PostSubject: Re: On with the discussion: IHD at 1997 Stanley Cup playoffs   Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:52 pm

Difficult to believe the 1997 Stanley Cup finals was close to 20 years ago. Shocked

When I think back to the 1997 Cup final, the first thing that comes to mind is me not worrying about the Wings chances. Even though they were dismantled by the pathetically dull Devils in 1995, there was something about the Lindros-led Flyers that provided me with some level of comfort.

Not sure if it's the bad luck Lindros endured (i.e. concussions, etc), or his pompous attitude, but the guy wasn't a winner. Even though Lindros had played extremely well throughout the playoffs, I wasn't concerned.

Well, not that concerned anyway.  Smile

And as it turned out, Lindros played like a fourth line grinder (one meaningless goal the entire series) and grinder Darren McCarty played like Wayne Gretzky, at times. Laughing

Having said that, the 1997 Stanley Cup playoffs is most widely remembered (by only me) for the birth of my hockey playoff routine.

Each and every game I'd park a kitchen chair in front of the television. Literally, no more than three feet from the screen. To my right side - parked on the floor - would be a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale (more in the fridge) and to my left side (often on my lap) a bag of "Family Size" (a.k.a "Paul Size") Better Made BBQ potato chips.

Of course my wife was put on full-alert: "DO NOT ask me to do anything during the game.......err, sweetie."

Pretty much followed this routine for every Wings playoff game from 1997-2009.

Gained a lot of weight during that time.  pig  Very Happy  Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fhl-since-1993.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On with the discussion: IHD at 1997 Stanley Cup playoffs   

Back to top Go down

On with the discussion: IHD at 1997 Stanley Cup playoffs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1