HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WELCOME to Chester's Corner!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Let's Go Pens!!!

PostSubject: WELCOME to Chester's Corner!!!   Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:45 pm

Hello, all. WELCOME to Chester's Corner (CC), THE place on the FHL Forum for random discussion. Think of CC, led by BB (Badger Bob), as a combination of a radio call in show and "Cheers" since everyone here knows your name!

We'll obviously talk hockey, both real and fantasy. Hockey is a common interest that all in the FHL share. And we can talk other topics as well. For example, if those in FHL home turf in Michigan want to discuss pros and cons of Debbie Stabenow and Thad McCotter, depending on which side of the aisle you are on, we can do that.

However, key will be to keep all discussion amiable since, as said above, trying to maintain atmosphere of "Cheers."

Content here can be a combination of topics suggested by BB as well as by other GMs. To that end, BB SALUTES Misconducts for visiting and posting even before CC was open for business.

Since this is a Sunday afternoon and I have a fantasy football team to monitor, I will not be able to address topics brought up by Misconducts now. But will do so ASAP!!! I encourage other GMs to respond to Misconducts even though last night was not a good one for the Red Wings.

Only one game. Life goes on. And holy crap on a cracker Batman, Montreal is looking strong!!! (And that's fine by me since I remain a BIG FAN of Michel Therrien, former coach of the Penguins.)

Why does CC exist? BB reached out to the commish, offering to provide additional content for Forum. Since I've been a professional writer for my entire career, creating copy for me is easy and fun. Commish creates plenty of copy in daily news updates, which to me is awesome. So offered a helping hand.

I was a sportswriter for first eight years of career before transitioning in early 1990s into PR with a specialty in high-tech. (So if any GMs need anything written for a business, such as press release, Website copy, bylined article, etc., let's talk. That is it for self-promotion.)

As a sportswriter, I worked for daily, weekly and twice a week newspapers here in NJ. But my PR work has taken me from New York City to northern California and back twice.

As far as NHL is concerned, I was aware of it as early as late 1960s. Every Saturday night, my dad would take my mom to beauty parlor and we would visit his mother's home (my paternal grandmother.) In fall and winter, I remember watching NY Rangers games with players such as Rod Gilbert, Jean Ratelle, Eddie Giacomin, Harry Howell, etc.

As is obvious to all here, I did not become a Rangers fan.

I went off to high school near Philadelphia (which meant a bus ride, a train ride and a 1.5 mile walk each way) in the fall of 1972. Lots of my classmates were and I assume still are, sadly, Flyers fans. Poor misguided people!!!

Flyers didn't float my boat since I concluded that the Broad Street Bully approach WAS NOT HOCKEY. It was organized mayhem even though Philadelphia had skilled players in Bobby Clarke, Rick MacLeish, Bill Barber and Reggie Leach as well as a great goaltender in Bernie Parent.

Became a Penguins' fan in 1974 as a result of an English project in my junior year in high school. I'll save details on that for a post later.

Have been through some really bad times (including two visits to bankruptcy) and some really good times (three Stanley Cups) as a fan of the Penguins.

First fantasy hockey league I participated in was early 1990s led by a guy from Staten Island, NY who I sadly have lost touch with. My first two picks in fantasy hockey were Patrick Roy and Pat Verbeek. Remember, Verbeek provided combo of scoring and penalty minutes.

Founded my own fantasy hockey league in 1995-96 that ran through last season. And now I am in the FHL. Happy to be here and to contribute in Chester's Corner.

Again, WELCOME. Let's have fun talking real and fantasy hockey and more. Going to exit stage right (as cartoon character Snagglepuss used to say) to get in a little fantasy football watching.

Hey, good news for those in Michigan. The Lions lead the Bears, 7-0, in first quarter. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morganwigge
Admin

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME to Chester's Corner!!!   Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:11 am

Good stuff(!) and a big thanks for volunteering your time and talent.

Question: As you sit in front of your computer - writing for Chester's Corner - is it safe to assume you are clothed in something like this:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fhl-since-1993.forumotion.net
IceHogsDynasty

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME to Chester's Corner!!!   Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:23 pm

I would have assumed it was these guys instead of Don Cherry

Looking forward to seeing your insight, and offer rebuttals or at least the occasional Badger Bob stinks..

To start things off

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Let's Go Pens!!!

PostSubject: Where to begin (-: in response to Boulder Flyers and Ice Hogs dynasty   Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:48 pm

Well, some NICE posts already. Chester's Corner may have my name on it. BUT it belongs to all of us. Share knowledge. Get some laughs. Vent. Whatever you like.

Paul, kinda have the beard of Don Cherry going at the moment. Am clothed. Always a good thing, right? But cannot match the LOUD outfits that are vintage Cherry.

Did not work today. Had a buddy over to do some plumbing repairs in the house.  I helped. So just got done dinner, which was on me, with my buddy. Work wear still on that would make Bill Belichick proud. Doctor Pepper hooded sweatshirt and US Navy sweatpants.

Had to cut out and replace two major metal pipes today that had been in the house since construction in 1955. (The Production Line was in its prime for the Red Wings back then.) So looking forward to getting cleaned up and out of the work attire.

Maybe I can get self a turban just like Johnnie Carson as "The Great Carnac" or "Carnac the Magnificent" or a fez to wear while writing Chester's Corner copy?  farao Closest icon I see available is titled "pharoah." Point is a funky headdress would be a little different than Don Cherry. (Of course turban or fez not meant to upset the Muslim community in Dearborn.)

Then again, could go with native American headdress like Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown from movie Slapshot. (Telling all right now, will be tossing out movie Slapshot for discussion here in the future. Gotta bring your A posts for that discussion. May also discuss Sudden Death with Van Damme with parts filmed at the old Igloo, the Civic Arena, in Pittsburgh, PA.)

Yeah, had to work in a Pittsburgh reference. Hey, I waited until paragraph 7. Why? Perfect segue into photo posted by Ice Hogs Dynasty.

# # #

Ah yes. Sir Sid absorbing a cheap shot from a thug on skates, what a surprise NOT, wearing a Philadelphia Flyers' uniform. Picture worth more than a thousand words, right? Some of those words if from me could be expletives and vulgar. But I had a productive day, so will NOT allow thinking about the Philadelphia Flyers to raise my blood pressure.

We all here know what the Phladelphia Flyers are. And it is not positive.

Hey, "people" (I use that word loosely.) that I know who are Flyers' fans are STILL smarting about the outcome of the 1997 Stanley Cup finals. I know that will bring smile to all Red Wings' fans here. Wings took the Flyers behind the woodshed, sliced and diced, and swept up the pieces. (I was very happy with the outcome.)

PLEASE feel free to share your memories of the 1997 Stanley Cup finals!!! Start of the rise of the Red Wings.

# # #

As you all know, Badger Bob played Between the Pipes in Period 1. Initially, was scheduled to play a former owner from my old league (a Flyers fan) who had to drop out of FHL. As my team name tips helmet to Penguins, name of his team would have tipped to Flyers, Legion of Doom.

You may recall that the PENGUINS and flyers were two of the six teams in the 1967 NHL expansion. And as history shows, PENGUINS and flyers played the first regular season game ever at the old Spectrum (I refer to it as "the Rectum.") in Philadelphia. Unfortunately, Philadelphia won 1-0. So I thought it would have been ironic for Badger Bob to open in the FHL against Legion of Doom.

(The game against Philadelphia was not first regular season game for Penguins. They opened and lost at home to Montreal.)

But a Badger Bob versus Legion of Doom matchup was not to be. Kudos to Between the Pipes for taking that spot on short notice. And as we all know, Between the Pipes took down Badger Bob. Huge dose of Martin Jones.

Badger Bob has recovered emotionally and is focused on current matchup with SC Cobras. And this matchup has historic significance in FHL as it is the first between the former "WHA" GMs.

That is going to be it for now fellow GMs. Mull it over. Respond. That's how it works here in Chester's Corner, which, as said at the top, belongs to ALL GMs.

Was my post all over the map? Absolutely. Done for a reason. Gives more opportunity to respond.

Until next time, Badger Bob over and out. Remember, IT'S A GREAT DAY FOR HOCKEY!!!

Last edited by Let's Go Pens!!! on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morganwigge
Admin

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME to Chester's Corner!!!   Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:42 pm

I enjoy reading your recollections and thoughts of hockey way back when. Though we're about the same age, I have none. I was late to the hockey game.

I moved to this country, from Wales, when I was seven years old. The only sports I knew were cricket, rugby and football (soccer). The year was 1967 and the Detroit Tigers were very good, so I quickly gravitated toward baseball.

In 1967 the Red Wings weren't very good and the Lions, well, the Lions. So baseball was my game.

Growing up I had zero interest in hockey. The Red Wings were mostly bad. The year I graduated high school I believe the Wings won 16 or 17 games.

By the late 1980's, early 1990's, the Tigers had hit a dry patch, so I suppose I was looking for another sport.

In 1993, Ken (Bluliners) and Scott (Wild Ducks) asked me to join a fantasy hockey league. I declined because I didn't know anything about the sport - though I did write a weekly newsletter in support of the league.

Writing the news piqued my interest, so when asked, I joined the FHL the following year.

And here we are today.
Back to top Go down
IceHogsDynasty

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME to Chester's Corner!!!   Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:12 pm

Ahh, the 97 Red Wings..  What a great year..  I graduated high school that year..  

Due to the beanie baby craze, I was able to sell enough beanies to get tickets to games 3($400 for the pair) and 6($500 for the pair) against Colorado, both Mondays..  Took my high school sweetheart, Stace to both games...

Kozlov and Fedorov were the stars of those two games..  The electricity at the Joe was amazing..  The building groaned when Young or Foote scored with about 5 minutes to go, but when Shanny clinched it with the empty netter, loudest sounds I have ever heard until later that year(when Barry got his 2,000 yards at the Silverdome against the Jets)..

I couldn't afford tickets to the Stanley Cup Finals, but was very rewarding to watch them recover from the Toronto/SJ 1st round loss, The sweep by the Devils, and the loss to the Colorado..  To see Yzerman lift the cup, WOW!!!

I joined the league when Misconducts asked me after the lockout..  I had quite a lucky run of fantasy success of joining his leagues and winning immediately..  2 football titles in 2 years, a NL baseball title in the first year,  finished 2nd in AL baseball the first two years, and won my first 2 years in hockey..  

I didn't know you were from Wales, Paul..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Let's Go Pens!!!

PostSubject: On with the discussion: a smidge on Wales!!!   Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:05 pm

Paul, I WILL gladly discuss a bit of Wales with you as it applies to a soccer team for which I root.

Here are some hints. I may be a little off on dates. See if you can come up with the team.

The team had been in the lower leagues in Football League for LONG time, maybe as long as 70 years before getting relegated in maybe 2008 or 2009 to the Conference National. Then, even more bad news as the club was wound up in bankruptcy court in 2010. Precipitated by the players not getting on bus to go to a road game since they had not been paid.

Supporters reorganized the club I believe a year later. Club has earned two promotions since being re-formed and is now back in the Conference National, one rung below the Football League, which encompasses the top four leagues in England/Wales.

(COOL that there is a Wales team in the Premier League, Swansea City. Another team from Wales, Cardiff City, is in League 2, the Football Championship.)

The border of England and Wales runs through the club property. I believe the stadium is in England and the rest of the complex including club office is in Wales. Or maybe other way around.

Club logo is a crown with a lion's head atop the crown. Believe the lion for William the Conqueror? Not sure though.

So Paul, give me a guess as to the team. I think you will get it!

I also root for a team in the Premier League. Will save that for another discussion. I think an interesting story as to WHY I root for the team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morganwigge
Admin

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME to Chester's Corner!!!   Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:08 am

Based on your description of the logo (a crown with a lion's head atop the crown) my first thought was "The Ritz-Carlton."  My second though was, "Hmm, I don't think The Ritz-Carlton is a Welsh soccer team."

Since Googling the answer would be cheating, I give up. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME to Chester's Corner!!!   

Back to top Go down

WELCOME to Chester's Corner!!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1