HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Expansion 2015-16

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Let's Go Pens!!!

PostSubject: Expansion 2015-16   Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:37 pm

Hello, all. Introducing myself. John Chester, Trenton, NJ, new owner in FHL of Badger Bob. Also writing on behalf of the other new owners: Josh Murphy, Silicon Valley Slashers; Mike Murphy, SC Cobras; and Tom Buker, Legion of Doom.

We are grateful to have been accepted into the FHL and look forward to the start of the fantasy season.

At age 56, I have been avidly following NHL since 1974-74 or so. I've seen a lot.

Since I am a fan of hockey history, the best I can compare FHL Expansion 2015-16 to is the merger into the NHL of the four WHA franchise for the 1979-80 season. For the record, those franchises were the Hartford Whalers, Edmonton Oilers, Quebec Nordiques and Winnipeg Jets.

I had run a fantasy hockey league for almost as long as the FHL has been in existence, since the 1995-96 season. My league ceased after last season after a lengthy run. Just like the FHL, we also had a cup that was passed from champion to champion. (It currently is in possession of Josh Murphy of the Silicon Valley Slashers.)

Maybe it was time, since the last NHL player who was active when my league was founded -- Martin Brodeur -- retired at the end of the last season.

At any rate, three other former owners in my league asked to be kept apprised of any leagues that I was interested in joining. I was also seeking to find them a new fantasy hockey home.

I happened to notice Paul's post on the RotoWorld League Finder service. I reached out via Email. Paul responded. And here we are.

Unlike the FHL, my league was stats accumulation over the season. So all four "WHA" owners are looking forward to the head-to-head format.

We all realize that fantasy hockey is friendly competition and look forward to the mental competition and making some new friends.

Tom Buker and I live in central NJ about two miles apart.

The Murphy brothers (not to be confused with the Hanson brothers) are in California. So the FHL now operates from sea to shining sea.

Again, on behalf of all the new owners, we are grateful to have been accepted into the league and look forward to enjoyable seasons.

# # #

Now for the MOST IMPORTANT part of this message. YES, I have visited the hockey cheerleaders pages on the Immaterial Material portion of the forum!!! Very Happy

Also, the description for the Trade Talk portion had me howling. "If you want to unload one of your players, BLUR THE FACTS here." NICE!!! lol!

Good to see that a sense of humor is alive and well in the FHL!!!

And it is awesome what Paul does re: reporting the results each week. KUDOS, Paul!!! cheers

# # #

Feel free to introduce yourselves to the "WHA" owners. We are glad to get to know the veterans of the FHL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wild Ducks

PostSubject: Re: Expansion 2015-16   Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:20 pm

Welcome all,
My name is Scott Collard (relocated to L.A. from detroit in 97) GM of the WildDcuks (Thinking of changing the name to Duck Dynasty). I do the daily stats for the League. I'll try to get last years totals to Paul this week so he can post it on the forum and everyone can see who the top scoring players were at each position. Again welcome and good luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morganwigge
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Expansion 2015-16   Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:56 am

Thanks for the good words John. Extremely happy to have you, Josh, Mike and Tom as members of the FHL. Gonna be fun. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fhl-since-1993.forumotion.net
IceHogsDynasty

PostSubject: Re: Expansion 2015-16   Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:14 pm

Welcome Ladies.. Great to have some fresh blood in the league(the guys didnt like it when I joined as I won back to back titles, figuring out the loopholes in their setup) Its been a struggle ever since as I am usually 3rd or 4th or last..

Welcome, and glad to have you on board. Holler if you have any questions and feel free to add to the hockey cheerleader thread..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
misconducts

PostSubject: WELCOME TO THE LEAGUE!!   Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:02 pm

Welcome everyone my name is Dave Smalley of the Misconducts!! Hockey with an Attitude!! I think this is the first time we have had 12 teams and I am looking forward to it. feel free to email me or text or whatever and if I can help with anything I will be happy to do so.. here are some hockey facts according to Dave. All facts are endorsed by me and not the FHL

1. Mario Lemuiex is the best player to play in the NHL since this league started
2. There are no bonus points for crying in the league , sorry Crosby!
3. Mark Messier has a square head
4. NHL names should be easier so I can spell them
5. Andrew Hammond will bomb in Ottawa
6. The leafs will still suck this year!
7. LA Kings have the hottest Ice Girls
8. The Panthers should move to Quebec
9. I am not a Patrick Roy Fan
10. This year I will not draft Chara

GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SC Cobras

PostSubject: Re: Expansion 2015-16   Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:34 pm

Hey All,
My name is Mike Murphy and I live in Santa Clara, CA.
Thanx for the warm welcome and assistance in getting ready for the upcoming FHL year.

Have examined Cheerleader thread and there are no words to describe my appreciation for post#2 on page 1.
I regret to inform you the reason you don't see any pictures of cute ice girls for the Sharks is most of them are guys...yes, guys.

Oh, and I was thinking about drafting Cindy until I heard there were no bonus points for crying.

Looking forward to this season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Let's Go Pens!!!

PostSubject: Thank you Dave S. re: Mario L.   Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:41 am

Dave, many thanks for kind words on Mario Lemieux.

He always has been a special guy for me as a Pens fan since he saved the franchise in Pittsburgh as both a player and an owner.

Pens were awful AND tanked in order to get first draft pick to get him as a player in mid-1980s. He helped bring them first two Stanley Cups in 1991-92 and 1992-93. (Ironically, the best-ever Pens team probably was 1993-94, which was an upset loser in second round to Islanders in OT in Game 7.) He then brought them out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy as majority owner in 2000s.

I believe his latest success has been to contribute to University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Don't know all of details.

Have never lived in Pittsburgh, but have spent fair amount of time there. What a great city in terms of friendly people, cultural attractions and sight lines only matched by San Francisco and maybe Seattle (thanks to combo of rivers and hills.) Pittsburgh, unlike Philadelphia, has a Midwest feel to it. And that is a GOOD THING. So those of you living in the Midwest will understand.

Last edited by Let's Go Pens!!! on Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Let's Go Pens!!!

PostSubject: And also re: Dave S.   Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:51 am

Agree re: 3. Yes, Messier square head. And a much better hockey player than Sponge Bob Square Pants.

Agree re: 6. Leafs doomed to another season that will infuriate probably one of the most loyal fan bases in the NHL. I do feel for Leafs Nation. These people long for the second coming of Darryl Sittler, Borje Samling and Wendell Clark. Crying or Very sad

Have listened to plenty of "Leafs Talk" call-in shows after game when Leafs flagship radio station was CHML, 900-AM, Hamilton, Ontario. Could pull that in on car radio. CHML no longer has Leafs games. Crying or Very sad

Agree re: 9. Can't forgive Roy for costing me a championship in my own fantasy league way back when he was with Montreal. Was in nip-and-tuck battle for title. In last week of season, Roy got into an altercation that yielded 27 penalty minutes, minor, major for fighting, game misconduct, gross misconduct. This cost me points in PIM, which in my league was a positive category (more is better), and was the difference between me finishing first and second. Evil or Very Mad

Fantasy hockey aside, I didn't care for Roy's demeanor although no denying he was a great player.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
misconducts

PostSubject: fhl   Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:44 pm

John, couldn't agree with you more on Super Mario. He was great for the game. Always had more of an edge to his game then Wayne and didn't have all the protectors. Which Is why I liked him as much as I liked Steve Yzerman. I was in Pittsburgh last week for work and again couldn't agree more. Friendly people and great restaurants and sports area.

I cannot deny Patrick Roy is one of the best but, cant stand him. I was fortunate to be able to attend "the Game" March 26th 1997. To see Roy bloodied and beat was the greatest hockey game I have ever seen. I have never seen any sporting event like that live and probably will never will again. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morganwigge
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Expansion 2015-16   Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:34 am

Let's Go Pens!!! wrote:
Yes, Messier square head. And a much better hockey player than Sponge Bob Square Pants.

I beg to differ. SpongeBob has one hell of a slapper.

Best FHL/NHL player of all-time: Theoren Fleury. Absolutely loved him. Little guy who did great things (like SpongeBob).

My son's name: Theron. Very Happy Cool

Okay maybe Fleury wasn't the best but I prefer feisty overachievers like him over guys who are built to be great (Lemieux).

I remember liking Mario Lemieux -- up until the year the Wild Ducks drafted him in the fourth round (the guy was supposed to retire, or so most of us thought). That was also the year the Wild Ducks won the FHL Cup by triple digits. Mad

misconducts wrote:
I was fortunate to be able to attend "the Game" March 26th 1997. To see Roy bloodied and beat was the greatest hockey game I have ever seen.

My biggest claim to in-person sports viewing fame: I was at Tiger Stadium (left field, upper deck) when Denny McClain won his 30th game. tongue

I never paid much attention to Mark Messier's head.
Back to top Go down
Let's Go Pens!!!

PostSubject: Denny McLain 30th W   Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:22 pm

Paul, that's HUGE being at an historic event like McLain 30th win. I remember 1968 World Series vividly, rooting for the Tigers to defeat St. Louis in the World Series, which they did four games to three, coming from down 3-1.

(For me, 1968 was another near miss for my San Francisco Giants. Giants finished second 1965 through 1968, which was the last season before leagues were broken into two divisions.)

Mickey Lolich, not McLain, the pitching hero for the Tigers in the World Series. Lolich, a bit overweight. won three games, including Game 7 over Bob Gibson, who had won Game 7s for St. Louis in 1964 and 1967. Believe both Lolich and Gibson were pitching on short rest.

Watched Game 7 on TV. If I remember correctly, outfielder Jim Northrup had the big hit that broke open the game, a double or triple that drove in a few runs and went over head of St. Louis center fielder Curt Flood. I won't go into my feelings otherwise for Flood, who later refused to accept trade to Philadelphia and challenged baseball reserve clause.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morganwigge
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Expansion 2015-16   Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:44 am

I was eight at the time and probably didn't fully comprehend the significance of a pitcher winning 30 games. Still, I remember the game fairly well, including Willie Horton's single to left (in the direction of where I was sitting) to win the game in the bottom of the ninth. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Expansion 2015-16   

Back to top Go down

Expansion 2015-16
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1